Government Departments

Partner Institutions

South Africa and International Organizations in United Kingdom


Applications for marriage certificates can be made by any South African citizen or foreigner whose marriage was solemnized in South Africa.  To ensure that applications of this nature are processed speedily, concerned efforts must be made by the applicants to ensure that the form is completed in full. 



  • The office dealing with South African passport holders will be opened from 08h45 to 12h45 Monday to Friday except on public holidays. Collections will be from 08h45 - 12h45
Please note: no appointments necessary; this is a walk in service.



Completed marriage certificate application form;

2x certified copies of marriage/civil partnership certificate if married in South Africa or a legalised (Apostille)* Click on the following link for legalization of documents marriage certificate if the marriage was entered into outside of South Africa.

Applicants applying in person at the High Commission should bring original documents and two copies of the original documents which will be certified by the official during submission. Please note that a document certified is not the same as a legalised document.

NB: It is compulsory that a foreign marriage (i.e. marriage between a South African citizen and a non-South African citizen) be registered with the Department of Home Affairs. Please complete the Registration of Marriage form. Registration of marriage page link

2 certified copies of passport and ID for both spouses if applicable.

2. Processing fee of £7 and it must be in the form of postal order payable to SA High Commission.  We do not accept cheques nor do we have credit card facilities
3. Fully paid Special Delivery self addressed envelope (Size A4) for the return of your certificates, please note that no certificates will be posted from this office unless an envelope is provided.


6 Months


Form: Marriage Registration

Page updated: 19/04/2018